Tailoring Made Easy: How to Make Simple Alterations to Your Dress Shirt
Dress shirts are the cornerstone of any wardrobe. They are versatile and can be paired with almost anything to create a sophisticated and stylish look. However, finding the perfect dress shirt that fits you perfectly can be a daunting task. Most often, it is difficult to find a shirt that conforms perfectly to one’s body shape as everyone is built differently. Fret not – tailoring is the solution!
In this blog post, we will walk you through some simple alterations you can make to your dress shirt. These alterations can be done quickly and easily and can save you money and time in the long run.
Why alter your dress shirt?
Most dress shirts come in standard sizes that cater to a wide range of body types. Although these sizes may fit some people perfectly, they may be ill-fitted for others. Dress shirts that fit poorly can lead to discomfort, restricted movement, and an overall unpolished appearance. Altering a dress shirt can ensure that it conforms perfectly to your body shape, giving you the best possible look.
Simple alterations to make to your dress shirt
Before we dive into the alterations, it is essential to understand that dress shirts are incredibly structured garments. To retain their perfect shape, they need to be taken apart and stitched expertly. That said, some alterations can be done quickly, even at home. Let’s look at some of the simple alterations you can make to your dress shirt.
1. Shortening sleeves
The ideal length for a dress shirt sleeve is such that it ends right above the outer wrist bone. If your shirt sleeves are too long, it can make them look baggy and unappealing. You can quickly shorten your dress shirt sleeves following these simple steps:
- Put your shirt on and flex your arm to determine the ideal sleeve length.
- Use a measuring tape to measure the distance between the current sleeve length and the desired length.
- Remove the cuff from the sleeve.
- Trim the fabric from the end of the sleeve using scissors or a rotary cutter.
- Reattach the cuff to your newly shortened sleeve, ensuring that the seam aligns with the existing seam.
If the shirt sleeves are too short, you can still fix them adding fabric to the end of the sleeve.
2. Slimming the sides
Dress shirts that fit poorly in the midsection can make you look unflattering and untidy. Slimming the sides of your shirt can make you appear slimmer and create a more polished look. Here’s how to do it:
- Put your shirt on and pinch the fabric on the sides while ensuring that the shirt still feels comfortable.
- Use straight pins to pin the fabric along the sides of the shirt.
- Take the shirt off, turn it inside out and sew along where you pinned the fabric. Ensure that the seam is straight and follows any pattern on the shirt.
- Cut any excess fabric on the seams if necessary.
- Try the shirt on to ensure that it fits and looks the way you want it to.
3. Shortening the shirt length
A dress shirt that is too long can create a bulky appearance and make it look unpolished. Shortening the length of your dress shirt can improve your overall appearance significantly. Here’s how to do it:
- Put your shirt on and determine the ideal length tucking it into your pants and adjusting it to sit comfortably.
- Use straight pins to mark where the length of the shirt needs to be shortened.
- Remove the shirt and measure the length between the pinned area and the bottom of the shirt.
- Using scissors or a rotary cutter, trim the excess fabric from the end of the shirt.
- Turn the shirt inside out and hem the end of the shirt with a straight stitch.
- Try on the shirt to ensure that it sits comfortably and looks good.
1. How long does it take to alter a dress shirt?
Simple alterations such as those outlined above can be done within a few hours or even minutes. However, more complicated alterations that involve taking the shirt apart and stitching it back together may require more time and expertise.
2. Can I alter my dress shirt if I have no sewing skills?
Yes, some alterations can be done even without sewing skills. However, for more complicated alterations, it is advisable to seek the services of an expert tailor.
3. How many times can I alter my dress shirt?
You can alter your dress shirt as many times as necessary as long as the fabric is still in good condition. However, be careful not to overdo it as too many alterations can compromise the structure of the shirt.
Tailoring your dress shirt has never been easier. It is a simple and affordable way to ensure that your shirt fits perfectly and that you look polished and sophisticated. By following the simple alterations outlined above, you can transform your dress shirt into a well-fitting, flattering garment that will make you look and feel fantastic. So go ahead and try it out; it’s worth it.